Holladay House: 1883-1899
The History of the Holladay House Bed and Breakfast in Orange, Virginia
MacDonald Family and the Methodist Parsonage
As a result of this chancery suit, John McDonald acquired the Chapman family’s Main Street property in 1883, and gave the title to his wife, Elizabeth. Thirteen years later, in 1896, Elizabeth sold a portion of land on the west side of the lot to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, on which they intended to construct a parsonage. The McDonalds continued to own the Chapman’s former home until 1899.
During the McDonald’s ownership, town residents still referred to the house by its former name. The photograph below was printed in the local newspaper in the 1890s. Despite the fact that the McDonald’s owned the property for over 10 years at the time this photograph was taken, the newspaper caption referred to the house as the Chapman House.
One of the earliest known photographs of West Main Street in Orange, VA (circa 1895), includes the Holladay House. An 1899 newspaper article included this photo and refers to the first house on the left as the Chapman House, despite the fact that the McDonald’s probably owned the home when this photograph was taken. The current façade of the Holladay House Bed and Breakfast in Orange, VA looks much the same as it did when this photograph was taken!
Follow the links below for more historical information!
For information about local historical sites and heritage tourism, see our Travel Guide for Charlottesville, Orange, and Central Virginia.
To begin an adventure into history, visit our Virginia Travel Packages page, which includes special packages and itineraries for Heritage Tourism, Archaeology Travel, Civil War Sesquicentennial Events, and Civil War Tours.