Virginia Green Lodging
To ensure that your room is always clean, comfortable and welcoming, we will enter guest rooms daily to freshen bathrooms, empty the trashcans, and make the bed. However, we respect our guests’ privacy and provide “Do Not Disturb” signs for all of our guest rooms. If a “Do Not Disturb” sign is hanging on a guest room door, we will not enter the room.
As part of our commitment to the Virginia Green Lodging Program, the Holladay House proactively takes steps to lessen our impact on our environment. We will not change the bed linens, towels, or robes in a guest room until after a guest’s third night with us. However, we want all of our guests to have the best experience possible and will happily replace these items more frequently if specifically requested.
Virginia Green Lodging Program
The Holladay House Bed and Breakfast is committed to reducing our impact on the environment. As part of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality’s Green Lodging Program, we proactively manage our operations to conserve water and energy, protect our local watershed, and reduce waste. Below we list some of the ways we strive to conserve our environment.
For a complete listing of our “Green” business practices, view our listing on the Virginia Green Lodging website.
- Wine corks
- All plastics
- Glass – all colors
- Food Composting
- Soaps with Clean the World organization
- Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL bulbs)
- Energy-star appliances and computers
- Timed lighting
- Individual climate control in guest rooms
Watershed Protection and Water Conservation
- Environmentally-friendly cleaners and detergents
- High-Efficiency Energy-Star laundry equipment
- High-Efficiency Energy-Star dishwashing equipment
- Only hypoallergenic soaps and natural shampoos
- Implementing processes and equipment to reduce water usage
- Native Virginia and drought-resistant landscaping
- Plan to install rain barrels
- Comprehensive in-house recycling program
- No disposable tableware
- Use of recycled paper products
- 2-sided copy and printing policy
- Extensive use of electronic documents and records, including online banking and online advertising
- We donate all towels, robes and linens that are no longer usable to the local animal shelter.
- Limited use of disposable cleaning products
- Bulk purchasing
Dominion Power Green Power Program
We voluntarily participate in the Dominion Green Power Program, where approximately 1/3 of our power is produced from renewable energy sources, including:
- Falling water
- Wave motion
- Sustainable biomass (landfill gas and agricultural waste)
For more information about the Dominion Green Power Program, please visit their Green Power Program webpage.